People & Communication

Who is responsible to notify and consult with residents? How is it determined who is included?

Public notification and consultation about oil and gas development, such as drilling and hydraulic fracturing, is the responsibility of producer sector companies. Regulators in each province determine who must be included in the notification. They are always a good place for landowners to start. For more information, visit:

  • In Brief: Landowners (BC Oil & Gas Commission)
  • Proposed Oil and Gas Development: A Landowner’s Guide (Alberta Energy Regulator)

Is there a greater risk associated with smaller companies or subcontractors doing work associated with hydraulic fracturing, compared to larger companies?

Absolutely not. Everyone is held to the same high standard. For more frequently asked questions about hydraulic fracturing, visit:

Do you have a People & Communication question we haven’t answered? Submit your question here: